An old EPNS PLATED Milk Jug from ANCHOR LINE Shipping Company. Plating is in good condition and the maker is shown on the base as ALEXANDER SCOTT....height 4.25 ". Hard to date exactly but an oldie....history of Anchor Line is as follow; Anchor Line was founded in 1856 as Handysides & Henderson. In 1872 the Barrow Steamship Co. was formed in partnership with the Duke of Devonshire and ships were later transferred between Anchor Line and Barrow SS Co. In 1911 Cunard purchased the whole of the ordinary share capital of Anchor Line and in 1912 a joint service was formed to India with Brocklebank Line to be known as Anchor-Brocklebank. In 1916 Anchor-Donaldson Line was incorporated with Donaldson Line to operate services to Canada. The firm of Anchor Line went into liquidation in 1935, but extra finance was injected and a new concern, Anchor Line (1935) Ltd was formed. Anchor-Donaldson and Anchor-Brocklebank ceased to exist and Cunard had no connection with the new company. In 1949 United Molasses Co owners of Athel Line gained a controlling interest in the company and by the following year owned the whole ordinary share capital. The transatlantic passenger service ended in 1956 but in 1960 a new joint Anchor-Cunard service was introduced. United Molasses Co. became a subsidiary of Tate & Lyle in 1965 and Anchor Line was sold to Runciman & Co. The final passenger voyage to India took place in 1966. The Currie Line was acquired in 1969 and George Gibson, Leith, in 1972. Anchor became the shipowning company for the group in 1976.
NZ$ 142.00 including GST
Other products you might be interested in